Mittwoch, 4. November 2009

Salzburg - Sternbräu

It's astonishing how many food pictures are forgotten between everything else. So this is what I dug up from a short visit to Salzburg in summer. We have some kind of flatrate card for trains which is launched for the summer months and students to explore Austria. Of course I wanted to go to Salzburg (one of 3 cities in Austria with LV and one of 2 with Hermès I believe ... but that's another story). After the 2 and a half hours of sitting hungry on the train we decided to eat something @ Sternbräu which is conveniently located in the heart of the city near the famous shopping streets. However, when we tried to find a seat most empty tables read that one should find another one... WTF, it's obviously a tourist place and the service isn't really amazing when it comes to attention. Oh well, I hoped the food would be nice. So I ordered the plate of the day, ox tongue with seasonal vegetables and mashed potatoes. It's topped with horseradish and roast onions. The sauerkraut on the top left is a side of my bf's dish, but first I'll tell you about mine: the tongue was yummy, the vegetables a bit too soft for my liking and the potatoes were so so, the roast onions added a bit of taste, but their tough texture (instead of crispy) indicated they weren't so fresh. I believe the plate was around 10€. I'd give it a 7/10, good, but I wouldn't order again.
















My bf got the typical roast pork with bread dumpling and sauerkraut. Generous amount of meat one has to say, but one more dumpling instead of the second piece of meat would have done too. The meat wasn't as tender as it could have been, so I only give a 6.5/10. All in all it's decent, but I'm sure there are better places out there serving those dishes.
















As dessert we took one huge Salzburger Nockerl together. It's basically baked egg white with lotsa sugar and a hint of egg yolk lol. Sets you back by 4€ I think. This one was fresh from the oven (as it's not possible to serve otherwise) and quite yummy. I'm looking for one with a more complex taste however, I believe some recipes use lemon zest and a tiny bit of flour. So this one gets 7.5/10.

















Overall I wouldn't go there again. I believe it's success is tied to its location and history, but the food lacks a bit IMO. I always think something can be better, unless I'm proved otherwise by a heavenly dish, happens sometimes...

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen