Montag, 2. November 2009

Godiva, Fruits and Sushi in Taiwan

Upon chewing my raw cauliflower I was thinking of more food pics on my hard disk. I knew I had more, but wasn't sure where they were... so I dug up travelling pics and voila! This is from my February 09 Taiwan visit.
If you like chocolate you probably know Godiva. Long story short they have high prices. I was eager to find out if they're worth it. Look at those nice pralines, 1 piece of them costs around 2€... (you can get whole chocolate bars in Austria for 80cent to 1€... from your ordinary supermarket though).

We have some seasonal (hence the snowflake) spice praline, a coconut, a raspberry, a pear and something else... and yeah, I'm too lazy to look up their exact names or rather, they're not really worth to be looked up... let's say you get a few bites off each praline and they taste decent, not too sweet, some more flavorful than the other, BUT not worth the high price tag. Probably I'm too spoilt by European/Austrian chocolates already, as the cheap ones taste pretty decent too (and probably that's the reason why Godiva isn't widely available here).

However, there is something I love by Godiva... the regular Chocolixir, iced chocolate *__* Before tasting it I had the fear it would taste like molten chocolate icecream... don't get me wrong, I love chocolate in general, like it as pudding or cake, but most chocolate icecreams I've tried just taste rotten... dunno how to describe it better, but when given the choice I stay away from chocolate ice cream. This one however, doesn't taste rotten AT ALL, but it's rather rich, straight chocolate taste, a bit sweet, but not overwhelming. The whipped cream goes well with it and the blended ice is evenly distributed. Now this goodness is priced at 4€ (standard Starbucks price, I generally think Starbucks is overpriced in Austria, but the Chocolixir isn't...). Still worth it, I sipped two of that calorie-bombs in September and would also get it again in cold months. That's how good it is... oh well, 9.5/10. I should be thankful we don't have Godiva shops in Austria with Chocolixir, or I'd get even fatter.

Now something healthy... fruit. But they're pretty sweet to. Ever seen a custard apple? They look like the following when sold. Sizes vary, and usually you should let them ripen for a few days until the green peel feels soft and the white flesh is mushy. Then you pick up each 'scale' and eat off the flesh, sometimes more flesh with a dark brown seed will hang there too. Don't eat the seed... well the taste: very sweet, custard like obviously, distant banana-flavor, mild, yummy, but actually not really describable... try one out, it's really worth it (ripened!).
The following is a variation of the above, it's a pineapple custard apple (bad translation probably, sorry) and tastes a tad sweeter, with a touch of pineapple taste added to the usual taste. Well, also very nice... I'll give those fruits 9 outta 10 (and am wondering now what would actually deserve a 10).
Next up is a sushi meal I had at Dean & Deluca @ Breeze Center Taipei. It was actually to be closed in January due to financial trouble (sells expensive Euro and US-made groceries, and also some dishes), but wasn't... I don't know why, but was happy I got this nice Salmon-Avocado california roll.
It tasted good and was priced at, I believe 3-4€, ok for me living in hyperexpensive Austria, but in Taiwan you can get a bigger meal for 3€ in foodcourts and -stalls. 8/10
That's it for today... let's see what I'll dig up tomorrow haha

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen