Donnerstag, 29. Oktober 2009

What business class tastes like

I usually fly tuna-can, or also called Economy Class as the price difference can buy you some nice things. However, I recently got enough miles to upgrade my ticket. Of course I had to take pics of the meal, wondering whether it would really be better than economy class... FYI it is the Premium Laurel Class by EVA Airlines. Route was Taipei to Vienna via Bangkok.
Let's start with the refreshment (Taipei - Bangkok):

First we have an appetizer of smoked salmon with paté, some kinda mushroom and salad. The salmon tasted like the stuff you get in supermarket, okay, but nothing special. The paté was kind of bad, some weird combination of ham and cheese I think. And I forgot how the mushrooms tasted...
Then comes the main dish I ordered online. It's grilled seafood on a rosemary skewer. The sides are salad with walnuts and mango rice in red pepper. The seafood was again, ok to mediocre tasting, it certainly didn't had the taste of freshly grilled food and the consistency were meh, just... meh lol. The sides were also ok, but nothing more.
The dessert consisted of fresh fruit which was nice, but I had hopes for some real dessert (even in tuna can you get a dessert besides fruit).
After that came the stopover in Bangkok. The lounge was pretty much empty and offered some refreshments. Then off again to Vienna we got dinner. It startet with a kind of mushroom/veggiesoup which actually tasted good. On the top right you also see a cup of hot chocolate. Gotta say it's very creamy and rich. So order one if you have the chance.
The main dish is again, pre-ordered. It's lamb with pepper crust, mashed potatoes and vegetables. The lamb was too dry and usually I prefer my meat rare (almost raw would be a better description haha). Besides the dryness the taste of the pepper was also overwhelming. The sauteed onion actually improved the taste, when I took a bite with meat and onion. Veggies were so so and the mashed potatoes were also kinda boring. The dinner finishes off with fruit again. The red grapes were actually nice. Sweet, firm and with flavor (it's a miracle nowadays to find flavorful grapes in Austria...).



Now the last course: breakfast. Came after a long stay in the dark watching movies/trying to fall asleep. Even though Biz class offers much more space and an almost flat 'bed' it's still kinda uncomfortable and I never get over the noise.

So here we have a congee with mixed sides. Pork floss, egg, bamboo, ham, some veggy I can't identify, mee-tee and pickled cucumber.
The breakfast was quite good (I also don't think you can do much wrong with congee). I didn't bother to make another fruit image, but you get an idea what I had for dessert lol.


Well, what can I say besides: you pay (I didn't pay, at least not directly lol) for better service, better looking dishes and more choice. That's about the food side. None of the meals knocked me off my feet, nor can they compete with dishes 'on earth'. So the food isn't worth it to book biz class (surprise surprise), however, the service, lounges, space and being priviledged all the time was pretty cool. If I have too much money one day I'd actually pay for biz class. Until then, accumulating miles by flying tuna.

Overall rating of food: 6.5/10, should say it all after my raves.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen